Orthotics referral guidelines
Personal Health (PH) Orthotics
Use the online Peke Waihanga orthotic referral form for PH orthotics.
Personal Health orthotics are generally funded for:
- Personal health conditions such as diabetes (e.g. ulcers, peripheral ischaemia, neuropathy)
- Conditions more commonly associated with ageing (e.g. arthritis)
- Any orthotic need likely to last less than 6 months
- Exacerbation of medical conditions
- An injury (first 6 weeks post-discharge if ACC)
Disability Support Services (DSS) Orthotics
Refer to MoveMe Health (Orthotic Centre) for DSS orthotics needs.
Disability Support Services orthotics are generally funded for:
- An orthotic need that is specifically required for a functional deficit due to a permanent disability and which will likely be required for more than 6 months (i.e. amputation, hemiplegia due to long-standing stroke)
- All community orthotic referrals need to be made by a general practitioner or by relevant DHB health professionals.
- A person with permanent disability might still need to be referred to Personal Health orthotics if the orthotic need is not related to their functional impairment caused by their permanent disability (e.g. someone with lower-limb paraplegia who needs a short-term orthosis for their unaffected shoulder).