Emergency Department (ED) - North Shore Hospital
- 24 hours per day
- 7 days per week
- On arrival at the Emergency Department (ED), the patient may undergo a brief triage or screening to determine the nature and severity of the illness or injury
- Those with more severe symptoms or injuries are treated before those with less serious conditions
- After the initial assessment and treatment, patients may be admitted to the hospital, transferred to another hospital or discharged
- New Zealand citizens or those who have obtained permanent residence are entitled to publicly funded healthcare.
- For more information please refer to our section "Do you have to pay?"
- Each year we see over 46,000 patients in the North Shore ED with another 15,000 seen in the Assessment and Diagnostics Unit.